Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Let's talk about...Home Births

I never thought I would ever be a home birth Mom; isn't it normal to have your baby in a hospital, surrounded by strangers, under really bright lights?  Now don't get me wrong - I've done two out of three births in the hospital and they were okay.  But with our third (and actually our second) we wanted to deliver at a birth center.  Our oldest's birth was, well, a little rough - it ended with her in the NICU for 5 days.  I firmly believe had the doctors/nurses followed our birth plan and let things move along naturally it would have been a completely different experience.

So, we found a midwife, Suzanne Ryan, and thought, "great we are set".  To our surprise, and at first shockingly, we wanted to do all our prenatal visits at our home.  What?!  I agreed, it might be nice not to have to drive to the hospital/doctors office - and it was nice.  She came over, did all the usual measurements, took a health history, and then proceeded to go over the basics of how things would go.  And went over the ten or so reason that she would transfer our care to a hospital; before, during & after labor.  She was there for an hour or so, took her time and answered our questions.  After she left we were pleased with her and knew we wanted her to deliver or baby but I still wasn't sold on having her at home.  But over the next 28 weeks Susan took time answer our additional questions, address our concerns & even provided us with a stack of videos to watch  - which we did, well some of them.  At 36 weeks pregnant I was okay with a home birth but still a little nervous.  The birthing supplies, birthing pool & what not, arrive at our 38 week appointment. She even gave us a little list of additional supplies to have on-hand.  So we took our "check list" to the store and picked up a few other things; like vinyl picnic table cloths to lay on the carpets to keep them dry when I got out the tub an snack to eat during labor.  We were ready!

As for Nugget (DD#3 - nickname), she wasn't ready - finally at ten days past due & my Mom's departure pending we finally coaxed her to make an appearance.  I was so peaceful, relaxing.
I know, I know you think I'm crazy, but truly I was able to move about my house freely, we took a couple short walks through the neighborhood and sat with my family.  My contractions were very manageable since she didn't break my water like the doctors did with my first two.

  
Suzanne & Nicole support me during contractions.
Suzanne checks the babies heart rate.

I just progressed slowly & naturally - once I was ready I got into the pool and labored there using a variety of positions.  















And at 9:32pm our third child was born; her Dad lifted her out of the water and laid her on my chest and we just rested.  :)  
Welcome to the world sweet baby!


Clean up & the minimum paper work that are required were completed, Nugget was weighed & measure and then we were left to enjoy our daughter. I know that if we decide to have any more children that I will have them at home with a midwife.


I cannot thank Suzanne enough for empowering us to enjoy pregnancy and a natural birth at home.

No comments: